Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rock Of Ages

Last night my friends and I went to see the hair metal musical Rock of Ages. Rock of Ages is a musical combining the rock hits of the 80's, with a romantic story line and some great comical relief.

The story is about Drew a wanna-be rocker who meets Sherrie a wanna-be actress from Kansas, at the Bourbon Room a rock bar on the Sunset Strip. Unfortunately, the club they both work in is now being threatened to be torn down by a big German business developer Hertz and his son Franz. The plot is nothing special as we have seen it all before. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back, all while saving the Bourbon Room from being demolished. I am sorry if I ruined it for those of you who haven't seen it but I am sure you would have figured it out! The narrator Lonnie steals the show with his comical entrances and witty lines. He even pokes fun at the story line to make light of its cheesiness.
I thought Rock of Ages was spectacular. The music renditions of 80's hits from bands like Poison, Twisted Sister, Whitesnake, Extreme, Bon Jovi and Journey were belted out to perfection. I am still have the song "We're Not Going to Take it" stuck in my head today! I also felt the constant comic relief throughout the show kept me very entertained. I highly recommend this musical to everyone but especially to those like my husband who are still in love with the hair metal bands from the 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment