Monday, August 30, 2010

Top 10 Non Greek Restaurants on the Danforth

As my friend Adrienne and I spent Friday evening hopping from place to place on the Danforth trying out different menu and cocktail options it inspired me to write a piece of my top 10 favourite non greek Resturants on the Danforth

1. Globe Bistro
Globe Bistro is my favourite non Greek Restaurant on the Danforth by far. It is also the place Adrienne and I started our escapades on Friday night and it is a place I frequent with many of my friends. This ultra swanky restaurant serves up savory menu items and their cocktail concoctions are to die for. They also boast an extensive wine list to accommodate any wine conosur and their rooftop patio has been best described as a wood trim oasis fuelled by good vibes and good service.


2. Allen's
A staple on the Danforth for years now, Allen's serves up a mouthwatering Irish/American menu. Try the Bison burger and Guiness chocolate cake I guarantee you will love it! For the full Irish experience be sure to sample some of their 355 different whiskey's. They also serve over 140 bottled beers and over 100 VQA wines. Their award winning backyard patio is adorned by one of Toronto's oldest trees that not only provides shade but it also creates a serene ambiance for all its patrons.


3. Lolita's Lust
Is known as a hotspot for many celebrities visiting this city. Its a great place to dine with a group of friends or if your looking for romance there are spots nicely tucked away for a more intimate setting. This trendy restaurant offers up an eclectic menu with something to satisfy everyone. On the upper level you will find their Chinchilla Lounge, perfect for a reception or party! It can accommodate up to 100 people.



4. Il Fornello
Although this is a chain restaurant you can find in many parts of the city, I still have to add it to my list of favourites on the Danforth. Il Fornello is a vibrant restaurant with a stellar reputation for the wide variety of flavourful pastas and its gourmet pizzas right from the wood burning stove. This is the place where I went for dinner when I got engaged so it has a special place in my heart.


5. Casa Sushi
Is a newer sushi establishment on the Danforth and now my favourite. As a sushi lover this place offers a great assortment of rolls all at an affordable price. It offers lots of seating so you don't have to worry about having to wait for a seat which was always my problem at Sushi Delight. They happen to be right next door and I would have to say they are my second favourite with Katsu Sushi following right behind them for third spot on best sushi places on the Danforth. Katsu is a great bang for your buck if you go for the "All You Can Eat" option.


6. The Auld Spot
The Auld Spot is graced with tiny white lights all across the ceiling and planters which creates a sophisticated feel you don't get from other pubs across the city. The Ault Spot is not just your average pub they offer a menu that will tantalize your taste buds with fresh oysters for all you seafood lovers. If you are not a seafood lover try the pulled pork sandwich it is scrumptious.




7. Mambo Lounge
Adds a little Cuban flair to the Danforth with Cuban food, music and mojito's! The tapas selection includes crab cakes, coconut shrimp and warm goat cheese. From mains comes a selection of seafood as well as cuban-style roast chicken, all at a great price. The ambiance, food and music make for a fun filled evening.





8. Red Violin Brazilian Steakhouse
Is for meat lovers! My old boss would always rant and rave about this place so I had to see this place for myself. For about $50 set price you can enjoy the all you can eat steak, roasted pork, chicken and sasauge. A large salad and seafood buffet is also available with the prix fixe price. Also enjoy live entertainment on Friday's and Saturday's.



9.The Family Thai
Located steps away from my house I can't get enough of this Thai restaurant. I often order take out but have sat inside a few times too. After being in Thailand myself I can say this place offers Thai food very comparable to what you will find in Thailand. The Pad Thai is my staple at a price of only $7 you can't go wrong.


10. The Brass Taps
If your looking for good ol' pub food this is the place to go. The pizza's are made fresh and in front of you. The fish and chips taste just like the way you would have them in England and the chicken wings I hear are cooked to perfection. It's a casual place I have been going to since high school and I seem to keep running into familiar faces every time I go, which just goes to show its popularity. Adrienne and I went their for a bite to eat on Friday and we got the Nacho Fries. Fries drizzled in mozzarella cheese, tomato's, lettus and bacon they were amazing!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks kathy.. as a new resident to the Riverdale area I found your post very helpful.

    ReplyDelete